This entire week will be dedicated to learning about each other and becoming familiar with the classroom rules, processes and procedures. There will be a quiz on Friday on the topics below.
Topics we will cover:
- Course overview
- Classroom rules
- Classroom procedures
- Hall passes
- Leaving the class
- Cell phone policy
- Attendance policy
- Submitting assignments
- Computer login
- Computer usage
- File management
- Student folders
- Submitting work
- Navigating through the class website
- Accessing your student gmail account.
- Search for potential design competitions we could enter as a class. Select your top 5 competitions and add a short description of each (you can copy & paste)
- Email the competitions via your student gmail account. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Setup your Certiport Account (www.certiport.com)
- Take the parental consent form home for your parents to sign. Return by Friday.
- Download the following photo and open it in Photoshop: http://mrbellsdesignclass.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/EnaTheBallerina.jpg
Watch the following videos:
The video will go over the following techniques:
- blending modes
- clone stamp
- spot healing
- layer mask
Demonstrate proficiency in computer skills (CTE 15.0)
Demonstrate proficiency in classroom rules & procedures
Reading & Writing
NGSS 01.0 Methods and strategies for using Florida Standards for grades 09-10 reading in Technical Subjects for student success in Digital Design.
NGSS 02.0 Methods and strategies for using Florida Standards for grades 09-10 writing in Technical Subjects for student success in Digital Design.
- Review the course syllabus and sign student/parent contract
- Review classroom rules
- Review daily classroom procedures
- Utilize appropriate font management techniques (e.g., TrueType, OpenType, font installation/removal).
- Perform storage management (e.g., cloud-based services, USB drives).
- Perform basic maintenance of computers and peripherals.
DQ2 What strategies will you use to preview/introduce new content? (include tangible resources you plan to use)
Verbal instruction, demonstrations to reinforce concepts and promote understanding. Hand signals will be used to manage response rate. Response chaining will be used when possible.
DQ3 How do you plan to differentiate instruction (What strategies will you use) to help all students’ process this new information? (include tangible resources you plan to use)
Critique, cooperative learning, concept mapping, student demonstrations, classroom discussion utilizing real project case study, Independent learning/activity (Video tutorials)
DQ4 How will you challenge students to achieve higher levels of cognitive complexity? (include tangible resource, strategies do you plan to use)
Redirect to more challenging assignments based on the new knowledge. Guiding students to elaborate by using question sequences.
DQ5 What interventions will you employ when students are not engaged? (as needed)
Reengage the classroom via a whole class activity, Use proximity, questioning or eye contact to re-engage students
DQ6 What classroom routines do you need to reinforce or classroom layout do you need to change to improve instruction?
I will provide the students with assigned computer stations, reassign students as needed.
DQ7 How will I get students to follow classroom rules?
Rules are posted and visible, verbal warnings
DQ8 What strategies will you employ to maintain an effective relationship with your students? (as needed)
Understand their interests and abilities, respect their differences, motivate and support them when they are in self-doubt, smile…a lot, provide a user-friendly, non-threatening classroom environment, be cognitive of their individual growth and development, give verbal/nonverbal cues that are affectionate in nature, give praise and encouragement, be honest, employ humor, be consistent with limits and boundaries, promote independence
DQ9 How will you reach those students that have low expectations?
Speak with student 1:1 in order that they are given the opportunity to identify their strengths/weaknesses, utilize the EDW results, tailor instruction accordingly to promote a sense of accomplishment, 1:1 tutoring, peer support, review content with oral presentation/feedback, rewording of questions for evaluation of comprehension, vary instruction, i.e. instead of a test, give an alternative assignment or research project, retesting; phone call to parent/guardian requesting their support and involvement in student progress.